March 21, 2011

robo's ramblings: The GOP is Retarded

When PWeekly asked me to write for his blog back in October, it was under the guise that I would write about politics and shit that has to do with politics. The difference between me and everyone else that writes about politics would be that I would cuss a lot and I would say things that other folk aren’t inclined to say because they write for outlets that have advertisers and readers. Lately, my frustration has been with the Republican Party and the notion that these fucks live in a bubble. Either that or they all time traveled here from 1960 and haven’t yet realized that it’s 2011 and blacks and whites share the same water fountain.

To be fair, I feel I should lay my political views on the table. I am a progressive-conservative, also known as middle-class white guy who’s parents didn’t spoil him. In some areas I am a progressive (parts of the tax system, human rights, the environment, freedom of information, gay marriage) and in some areas I consider myself a conservative (income tax, regulatory reform, gun laws, and immigration). I guess you would call me a centrist. I am registered as a “decline to state,” but have typically voted for the Democrats. Recently, I committed to not voting for anyone, with the exception of measures and propositions, because the Democrats are a huge group of opportunistic pussies and the Republicans…well, I am getting to them.

Before I go off on several tangents about Republicans, I will say this about them – those fuckers sure know how to stay on message and mind-fuck the logic and reason right out of people. They have every state between California and New York held captive in some sort of Manchurian Candidate-like experiment called the Tea Party. People will actually show up to rallies in wheelchairs paid for by government medical programs and violently scream “keep the government out of my Medicaid!” This year, we have seen the GOP switch from their favorite catch-phrase of the last decade, “War on terror,” to the new crown prince of hillbilly mantras, “Job-killer.”

In doing so, they have started tearing apart public employee unions and reducing funding for valuable public works programs all in the name of saving tax-payers money because these things are “job-killers.” In a sick way it’s kind of awe-inspiring how good these guys are a getting people to buy into some really bizarre shit (Obama is an illegal-alien and a Muslim come to mind). However, if memory serves me correct, teachers (public employees) pay taxes and contribute to the economy. One of the reasons I pay taxes is to fund public works programs so that I’m not rolling up to Tahoe like the fucking Donner Party or wakeboarding in a river full of white mice (that is what my plumber calls tampons). Unless there is a direct correlation between the elimination of these programs and a lowering of my tax rate (which there isn’t if you’re paying attention), shut the fuck up.

My latest gripe is with the California GOP and their refusal to put the tax proposal on the ballot and their bullshit arguments for not doing so. First and foremost, it is not a tax increase so stop calling it that. It would maintain the status quo for an extended period of time. Second, these aren’t the same proposals the voters rejected a couple years ago and the state is in dire straits so stop using that as a defense. Next, the current governor beat the shit out the GOP candidate on a promise that he would put any tax increases or extensions on the ballot so let the voters have a say. Finally, arguing that it’s bad for business is retarded now that two of the state’s largest Chambers of Commerce came out in support. And please stop saying that the Democrats haven’t made any real cuts. There is at least $10 billion in real cuts in the budget. This would explain the thousands of people who have been showing up in front of your place of business on a daily basis carrying signs and chanting.

The way I see it, by not voting to place the extensions on the ballot, the party is admitting defeat. This time the voters pass the extensions and they know that. A majority of people will choose to pay a quarter of a percent in income tax to maintain education funding versus laying-off teachers, closing schools, and having fucking crack heads blowing kids in alleys because the state shut down all of their after-school programs. What’s really fucked up is that this is probably a political move - they keep the taxes off the ballot, the Democrats are forced to cut into programs relied upon by their constituency, the Democratic constituency resents them for not holding their ground, and the GOP possibly makes up more seats in both houses next election. What’s even more fucked up is that one of the reasons they’re opposed to it is because they all signed a “no-tax pledge” given to them by some asshole that doesn’t even live in the state. Really, it blows my fucking mind that elected officials, men and women representing hundreds of thousands of Californians, have submitted to the will of the Howard Jarvis Tax Payers’ Association instead of the will of their own constituents. What do they have to lose? If it passes, it was the voters. If it doesn’t pass, it was the voters. It’s a political no-brainer. How do people this stubborn keep getting elected? “I promise you, the great people of Mono County, that I am going to go to Sacramento and not do shit for four years!”

The Republicans can shout “job-killer” from the mountain top all day long about the tax-extensions and those of us that didn’t go to school in a barn or spend our childhood killing squirrels will take it all in and come to the conclusion that they’re full of shit. One of the things that make me most proud about being a Californian is that we’re not a bunch of red-neck dipshits who’ll believe the political rhetoric constantly shit out by both parties (except for Tulare, Fresno and Kern counties). We actually do our research before we cast our votes and that’s why people like Meg Whitman are spending their time thinking about why in the fuck they spent $150 million to lose an election (okay just Meg Whitman is thinking that).

I have a feeling that, should the state have to cut more because the Republicans failed to allow the voters to vote, it is going to come back to bite them in their ass. They won a few close races this last go ‘round and I see them losing those seats next time because all the Democrats have to do is point to 2011 when the GOP decided it was better to throw teachers out on the streets, charge college kids more for tuition, eliminate grandma’s in home nurse, cut Bubba’s Medi-Cal, and let kids blow each other in alleys rather than simply letting us vote on taxes.

But what do I care, I quit voting.

10 comments:

Brad M. said...

Whoa! Heavy political fodder for a Monday - I like it though. Will tomorrow be another Charlie Sheen Tuesday?

Anonymous said...

The whole system is a shit sandwich!

KB said...

Boring. Is this Pweekly or the Capitol Morning Report on crack?
:-)

Anonymous said...

Or both! Dun dun dun!

Anonymous said...

As long as Pweekly has a variety of articles I think there is a place for political discussion.

Anonymous said...

Ha--there's a "variety" of articles on here?

Dave said...

I agree with the 5th Anon. Great variety. Don't agree with Robo's political views but I enjoy the post none-the-less.

luke said...

um this went from "crackheads blowing kids in alleys" to "kids blowing kids in alleys". both of which i'd like to see. on this site. if i search myself i'll end up on megan's list. also its spring. wake boarding season looms. i await the white mice.

Anonymous said...

if you don't like it, don't read it. I only like Robo when he talks politics. The rest, I don't read. Unless it's Charlie Sheen Tuesday of course!

Matt said...

Look at the number of times the Speaker of the House says jobs on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/#!/SpeakerBoehner